premier-league-footballer-‘arrested-on-suspicion-of-rape’

An “internationally renowned” Premier League footballer has been arrested on suspicion of rape.

The Telegraph have reported that the player, who is in his late 20s, was arrested in north London.

The unnamed player is currently in custody and is being questioned over an alleged attack which is said to have taken place last month. 

Scotland Yard confirmed in a statement to The Telegraph that the player had been taken into custody on Monday.

“On 4 July, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police,” the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

“It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022.”

Police added that the man had been arrested “at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody where he remains”. 

“Enquiries into the circumstances are ongoing,” the statement added.

The Telegraph have contacted the players’ club, who have declined to comment on the arrest.

It is unclear if the player will take part in his club’s pre-season schedule, with the Premier League season set to begin on August 5.

According to the report, the player was also due to feature for his country at the World Cup in Qatar, which gets underway on November 21.