man-united-star-donny-van-de-beek-receives-worst-news-possible-as-season-ends-after-horror-knee-injury

Manchester United midfielder Donny Van de Beek’s season is officially over after undergoing surgery on the back of the knee injury he suffered earlier in the month.

Van de Beek was given a chance to impress by United boss Erik ten Hag for the Premier League clash against Bournemouth on 3 January.

However, the Dutchman’s match came to an abrupt end after a challenge from defender Marcos Senesi left him in distress as he hobbled off.

Speaking ahead of the Manchester derby, Ten Hag delivered the worst news possible as Van de Beek has been ruled out for the remainder of the season.

The United boss said: “It is his knee. On the long term it is looking really good, he will be back for the start of pre-season. The rest of the season he is out.

“Everyone has thoughts with him it is terrible. It was a bad tackle, a bad injury.

“Our thoughts and feeling are with the player. “We are building something good and you want to be part of it but because of that injury he is now out.

“The good news is that in the long term he will be back and his knee will be stable.”

Van de Beek then took to social media to post a picture of him after his surgery.

The 25-year-old wrote: “I am really disappointed that the season is over for me.

“After successful surgery, it’s time to start my recovery process and will do everything to come back stronger for this club.

“Thank you all for the lovely messages, they mean a lot to me and my family.”

Upon signing for the club, Weghorst told the club’s official website: “I feel privileged to be joining Manchester United. I’ve played against the club in the past and it’s a fantastic feeling to now have the chance to pull on the famous red shirt.

“I’ve seen United’s progress under Erik ten Hag this season and can’t wait to start playing my part in pushing the team towards its aims.”

The much anticipated Manchester derby will take place on Saturday afternoon at Old Trafford.