The FA is set to investigate what was said between Jordan Henderson and Gabriel Magalhaes, after the pair were involved in a heated argument during Liverpool’s loss against Arsenal.

There was plenty of controversy during the Sunday afternoon’s blockbuster Premier League game, as Mikel Arteta’s side continued their excellent form.

In the second half, Arteta’s team were given the perfect chance to get the winning goal from the spot, after Thiago was adjudged to have fouled Gabriel Jesus.

Bukayo Saka scored his second of the afternoon, from the resulting penalty, keeping his side above Manchester City at the top of the table.

However, there was even more controversy as Henderson and Gabriel were seen exchanging angry words during the second half, with other players having to get involved.

Now the FA are set to investigate what was said between the pair, with referee Michael Oliver having spoken to the pair after the full time whistle.

According to the Telegraph, the two players were both interviewed after the match, with the transcripts having been handed over to the FA.

In a statement the FA said, “We are aware of an incident that took place during the match between Arsenal and Liverpool.

“We are in dialogue with the match officials and will review the details of the incident.”

There has been no comment from representatives of either player, club or the referee over what was said but Gabriel is believed to have made a complaint to Oliver on the pitch about what he heard.

Both clubs have handed over any video evidence from the game and players who were in the vicinity of the two players involved are likely to be interviewed.

In the past, the FA have employed a lip reader to help decipher what was said between players, when conversations on the pitch have resulted in a complaint and subsequent investigation.

Henderson and Gabriel were involved in an angry exchange of words. Image: AlamyBoth managers were spoken to be Oliver following the incident and they were also asked about it during their post match duties with the press.

“It was an incident that happened,” Arteta said whilst not giving away what the referee had told him, when asked.

“Whatever happens on that pitch, stays on that pitch.”

Klopp refused to answer a question about the incident.