arsenal-in-“e80m-offer”-for-forward-drogba-says-could-become-“best-in-the-world”

Arsenal had a superb summer transfer window – but it could have been even better had they completed a huge €80 million move for Victor Osimhen, according to reports.

The Gunners brought in a number of reinforcements this summer, with Gabriel Jesus, Fabio Vieira and Oleksandr Zinchenko the most high-profile additions.

Mikel Arteta also integrated William Saliba into the squad, after the centre-back had spent two seasons on loan in France.

In addition, Gabriel Martinelli has been given a more prominent role in Arsenal’s attack this season, whilst Ben White has successfully moved to right-back to accomodate the new central defensive pairing of Saliba and Gabriel Magalhaes.

The Gunners currently top the Premier League, with 31 points from their 12 games. They are two points clear of second-placed Manchester City.

That is partially due to the form of Arsenal’s attacking trio of Jesus, Martinelli and Bukayo Saka. Between them, they have 13 goals and 12 assists in the league.

But the Gunners did try to attempt to add to their attacking firepower in the recent window – and, according to a report from Italian media, almost pulled off a major deal.

Arsenal reportedly launched €80m bid for Victor Osimhen

Italian TV station Canale 21 (as per AreaNapoli) claim that Arsenal launched an €80 million bid for Napoli and Nigeria star Victor Osimhen in the window.

That claim is via Umberto Chiarellio, the presenter of one of the station’s flagship programmes, Campania Sport.

He said: “Luciano Spalletti’s team [Napoli], in the best predictions, was given fifth, while I saw it ready to bite the Milanese.

“It is a team that he re-founded. Aurelio De Laurentiis [Napoli owner] went ahead with his vision: lower wages, the confirmation of Victor Osimhen after Arsenal’s offer of €80 million, and the bet on Khvicha Kvaratskhelia, who played in Serie C, Batumi, a championship, the Georgian one, which is like Serie C.”

Osimhen has endured an injury-hit season in Naples so far, missing a month of action between September and October. But when he has been available, the Nigeria striker has been in incredible form.

Since his return in early October, the 23-year-old has scored in each of his four appearances, including a hat-trick in a 4-0 win against Sassuolo on Saturday.

Chelsea legend Didier Drogba spoke highly of the striker in June, when he told journalist Marco Giordano: “I like him a lot. He can be the best in the world. And when you have the talent like he’s got, I think it’s just a question of momentum.”

Osimhen has seven goals in eight Serie A appearances, with Napoli leading the Italian top division by five points ahead of Atalanta.

Spalletti’s side are yet to lose a league game this season – and will hope to keep hold of one of their prized assets for a long time to come.